The Hand by Jindřich Štyrský - 1940
Jindřich Štyrský - "The Hand" - 1940. Drawing on tracing paper. At the National Gallery of Prague:
"The Hand is a complexly composed work that combines the automatic technique of frotage with classic drawing, modern photographic reproduction and alchemical illustration. Štyrský used collage to add a child’s and a male hand to the woman’s hand that is adorned with a sparkling ring. The child’s red hand, cut out from a reproduced photograph holds a ball – an attribute of a game that was one of the main themes of Štyrský’s oeuvre. Furthermore, the sphere symbolizes the world. The male hand, pasted to the back of the female hand, is the only one whose palm is turned towards the viewer. It bears an esoteric message: this is the Hand of the Philosophers with seven signs, depicted in Die Hand der Philosophen by Johann Isaac Hollandus (1667). Another symbol, appearing on the palm, is the Eye of Providence enclosed in a riangle, with rays emanating from it."
- FREE Shipping Worldwide
- Use the drop-down menu on this page to order in your local currency
- Printed on museum-grade heavyweight Pearl textured Fine Art Giclée paper
- We carefully cover your work with tissue paper and bubble wrap, eliminating the danger of any scratches or folds
- Your order is placed into a robust cardboard tube, secured and sealed at both ends
- All items are tracked
- Delivered to your door
FREE Shipping Worldwide on ALL prints.
Use the drop-down menu on this page to order in your local currency
- There is NO extra charge for ordering in your currency. If your preferred currency is not on the currency picker menu at the top of the site or by each image price, please get in touch.
- All our beautiful pictures are printed on museum-grade, heavyweight Pearl Textured Fine Art Giclée paper. Our preferred paper is Hahnemühle Pearl (285gsm). If you'd prefer a different paper, please get in touch.
- Giclée printers use a higher quality of fade-resistant, archival, pigment-based inks. When applied to high quality archival substrates, like, for example, the Hahnemühle cotton-based, acid free Rag papers we use, this results in an unbeatable archival lifespan of up to 200 years.
- You can learn more about how are high-quality prints are made here.
- We carefully cover your prints with tissue paper and bubble wrap, eliminating the danger of any scratches or folds
- Your print is placed into a robust cardboard tube, secured and sealed at both ends
- All prints and other items are tracked
- All items are delivered to your door
FRAMED, CANVAS & BESPOKE ORDERS:
- If you'd like to order any of our prints in a size different, framed, on a stretched canvas or for anything else, please get in touch via our Contact page.