Ruby Loftus Screwing a Breech Ring by Laura Knight - 1943
A young factory worker in blue overalls is shown at work on an industrial lathe, cutting and turning the breech-ring component of a Bofors anti-aircraft gun. Other factory workers are visible in the background - 1943.
Dame Laura Knight (4 August 1877 – 7 July 1970) was an English artist who in 1936 became the first woman elected to full membership of the Royal Academy.
in the autumn of 1942 the War Artists' Advisory Committee commissioned Knight to paint a portrait to bolster female recruitment to the ordnance factories. The painting was first shown on 30 April 1943 at the Royal Academy and the next day was reproduced in eight British newspapers.'The Bofors 40 mm gun, often referred to simply as the Bofors gun, is an anti-aircraft autocannon designed in the 1930s by the Swedish arms manufacturer AB Bofors. It was one of the most popular medium-weight anti-aircraft systems during World War II, used by most of the western Allies as well as some captured systems being used by the Axis powers.'
FREE Shipping Worldwide on ALL prints.
Use the drop-down menu on this page to order in your local currency
- There is NO extra charge for ordering in your currency. If your preferred currency is not on the currency picker menu at the top of the site or by each image price, please get in touch.
- All our beautiful pictures are printed on museum-grade, heavyweight Pearl Textured Fine Art Giclée paper. Our preferred paper is Hahnemühle Pearl (285gsm). If you'd prefer a different paper, please get in touch.
- Giclée printers use a higher quality of fade-resistant, archival, pigment-based inks. When applied to high quality archival substrates, like, for example, the Hahnemühle cotton-based, acid free Rag papers we use, this results in an unbeatable archival lifespan of up to 200 years.
- You can learn more about how are high-quality prints are made here.
- We carefully cover your prints with tissue paper and bubble wrap, eliminating the danger of any scratches or folds
- Your print is placed into a robust cardboard tube, secured and sealed at both ends
- All prints and other items are tracked
- All items are delivered to your door
FRAMED, CANVAS & BESPOKE ORDERS:
- If you'd like to order any of our prints in a size different, framed, on a stretched canvas or for anything else, please get in touch via our Contact page.