Masked Man by Arnold Genthe - 1931
Artist, illustrator and costume designer Wladyslaw Theodore Benda was born in Poznan, Poland on January 15, 1873. He died in his adopted home of New York City on November 30, 1948. In 1914, three years after becoming a US citizen, Benda turned his hand to designing and making papier-mâché face masks. At first he featured them in his own studio pantings and graphic art, before he was hired to make them for miracle plays in New York City at venues like the New York Coffee House. Benda’s masks featured in stage productions on Broadway and London’s West End for works by such writers as Eugene O’Neill and Noël Coward, and for the movie The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932), which was originally published as a twelve part story in Collier’s magazine from May 7, 1932 through July 23, 1932.
In 1931, photographer Arnold Genthe (1869-1942) took this photograph of a man wearing a Benda mask.
FREE Shipping Worldwide on ALL prints.
Use the drop-down menu on this page to order in your local currency
- There is NO extra charge for ordering in your currency. If your preferred currency is not on the currency picker menu at the top of the site or by each image price, please get in touch.
- All our beautiful pictures are printed on museum-grade, heavyweight Pearl Textured Fine Art Giclée paper. Our preferred paper is Hahnemühle Pearl (285gsm). If you'd prefer a different paper, please get in touch.
- Giclée printers use a higher quality of fade-resistant, archival, pigment-based inks. When applied to high quality archival substrates, like, for example, the Hahnemühle cotton-based, acid free Rag papers we use, this results in an unbeatable archival lifespan of up to 200 years.
- You can learn more about how are high-quality prints are made here.
- We carefully cover your prints with tissue paper and bubble wrap, eliminating the danger of any scratches or folds
- Your print is placed into a robust cardboard tube, secured and sealed at both ends
- All prints and other items are tracked
- All items are delivered to your door
FRAMED, CANVAS & BESPOKE ORDERS:
- If you'd like to order any of our prints in a size different, framed, on a stretched canvas or for anything else, please get in touch via our Contact page.