Hall's Coca Wine, advert - 1915
Dudley Hardy - Advert for Hall's Coca Wine - The Elixir of Life c.1915.
Coca wine is an alcoholic beverage combining wine with cocaine. The advert for Hall's advised:
'The wine is a 'restorative, especially after influenza and combats sleeplessness, bronchitis, neuralgia, anaemia, mental fatigue, exhaustion and menstrual disorders ("sickness, so common to ladies").'
At the end of the 19th century, the fear of drug abuse made coca-based drinks less popular. This led to the prohibition of cocaine in the United States in 1914 via the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act, and the removal of cocaine from coca wine, though coca leaf remained. Coca wine itself became illegal in the United States when its other main drug, alcohol, was banned just a few years later with Eighteenth Amendment in 1920.
Via: The Wellcome Collection
FREE Shipping Worldwide on ALL prints. The price you see is the full price. No add-ons at checkout
Use the drop-down menu on this page to order in your local currency
- There is NO extra charge for ordering in your currency. If your preferred currency is not on the currency picker menu at the top of the site or by each image price, please get in touch.
- All our beautiful pictures are printed on museum-grade, heavyweight Pearl Textured Fine Art Giclée paper
- We carefully cover your prints with tissue paper and bubble wrap, eliminating the danger of any scratches or folds
- Your print is placed into a robust cardboard tube, secured and sealed at both ends
- All prints and other items are tracked
- All items are delivered to your door
- If you'd like to order any of our fine art prints in a size different to what you see in the shop, or for anything else, please get in touch via our Contact page.