Angela & The Slippery When Wet Album Cover by Mark Weiss - 1986
Angela on the Album Shoot for Bon Jovi by Mark Weiss, 1986.
The album was done. Three-hundred-thousand copies, with Angela in her provocatively cut wet t-shirt clinging to her 34DD breasts, had already been released in Japan. Everything was ready to go in the US. But this was 1986, and the PMRC was in full swing. Record stores were telling the labels to ease up on the explicit content and imagery or they wouldn’t sell the products. Polygram knew they had a smash album on their hands, and they didn’t want to jeopardize that success. They also knew the music stood on its own, so we went back to the drawing board to come up with another cover. Mercury destroyed nearly 500,000 copies before they ever left the warehouse to be distributed in the U.S.
Jon had issues with the Angela cover as well. Only in his mind, it was more about the color of the border around the photo than the actual photo itself.
Recently he told Howard Stern that his thinking was, “My career is over if we put out a hot pink album cover.” But if the pink border was the problem, why not just take it out?
I asked him what we were going to do and he replied: “I don’t know, but this is our last chance or the album gets held up.” Jon arrived at my studio, walked inside and didn’t even say hello. “Garbage bag. Spray bottle,” was all he said. I followed orders. I propped up the black bag and sprayed it with an oil and water mixture. Then Jon wrote the words SLIPPERY WHEN WET. As he was leaving he said, “That’s it. That’s their cover.” He didn’t even wait to see the Polaroid. The next day I delivered the photo, and the rest is history.
Own a limited edition print signed by Mark Weiss. Prices for limited edition signed prints are below.
How To Get A Fabulous Signed Print
Write 'Mark Weiss' in the subject line and for a limited time get 25% (!) off the price of Mark's fabulous signed prints.
Mark's signed prints are on premium 75lb Arctic Polar Lustre Big Sheets paper.
"I put prints in sealed plastic envelopes back with white board packed with strong cardboard preventing bends. Guaranteed not to be bent or a new print will be shipped," Mark Weiss.
Prices for Mark's Signed Prints:
16 x 20 - edition 52 - $600
20 x 24 - edition of 24 - $1200
30 x 40 - edition of 17 - $3000
40 x 60 - edition of 6 - $5000
FREE Shipping Worldwide on ALL prints.
- Due to COVID-19 shipping can take longer than usual. Prints should reach you within a week but increased checks can prolong delivery times.
Use the drop-down menu on this page to order in your local currency
- There is NO extra charge for ordering in your currency. If your preferred currency is not on the currency picker menu at the top of the site or by each image price, please get in touch.
- All our beautiful pictures are printed on museum-grade, heavyweight Pearl Textured Fine Art Giclée paper
- Giclée printers use a higher quality of fade-resistant, archival, pigment-based inks. When applied to high quality archival substrates, like, for example, the Hahnemühle cotton-based, acid free Rag papers we use, this results in an unbeatable archival lifespan of up to 200 years.
- You can learn more about how are high-quality prints are made here.
- We carefully cover your prints with tissue paper and bubble wrap, eliminating the danger of any scratches or folds
- Your print is placed into a robust cardboard tube, secured and sealed at both ends
- All prints and other items are tracked
- All items are delivered to your door
- If you'd like to order any of our fine art prints in a size different to what you see in the shop, or for anything else, please get in touch via our Contact page.