Aries by Johann Bayer - 1603
Johann Bayer's 'Aries', made in Augsburg, Germany 1603.
Johann Bayer (1572 – 7 March 1625) was a German lawyer and uranographer (celestial cartographer). He was born in Rain, Lower Bavaria, in 1572. At twenty, in 1592 he began his study of philosophy and law at the University of Ingolstadt, after which he moved to Augsburg to begin work as a lawyer, becoming legal adviser to the city council in 1612.
Bayer had several interests outside his work, including archaeology and mathematics. However, he is primarily known for his work in astronomy; particularly for his work on determining the positions of objects on the celestial sphere. He remained unmarried and died in 1625.
Bayer's star atlas Uranometria Omnium Asterismorum ("Uranometry of all the asterisms") was first published in 1603 in Augsburg and dedicated to two prominent local citizens. This was the first atlas to cover the entire celestial sphere.
FREE Shipping Worldwide on ALL prints. The price you see is the full price. No add-ons at checkout.
Use the drop-down menu on this page to order in your local currency
- There is NO extra charge for ordering in your currency. If your preferred currency is not on the currency picker menu at the top of the site or by each image price, please get in touch.
- All our beautiful pictures are printed on museum-grade, heavyweight Pearl Textured Fine Art Giclée paper
- We carefully cover your prints with tissue paper and bubble wrap, eliminating the danger of any scratches or folds
- Your print is placed into a robust cardboard tube, secured and sealed at both ends
- All prints and other items are tracked
- All items are delivered to your door
- If you'd like to order any of our fine art prints in a size different to what you see in the shop, or for anything else, please get in touch via our Contact page.