The Hand by Jindřich Štyrský - 1940
Jindřich Štyrský - "The Hand" - 1940. Drawing on tracing paper. At the National Gallery of Prague:
"The Hand is a complexly composed work that combines the automatic technique of frotage with classic drawing, modern photographic reproduction and alchemical illustration. Štyrský used collage to add a child’s and a male hand to the woman’s hand that is adorned with a sparkling ring. The child’s red hand, cut out from a reproduced photograph holds a ball – an attribute of a game that was one of the main themes of Štyrský’s oeuvre. Furthermore, the sphere symbolizes the world. The male hand, pasted to the back of the female hand, is the only one whose palm is turned towards the viewer. It bears an esoteric message: this is the Hand of the Philosophers with seven signs, depicted in Die Hand der Philosophen by Johann Isaac Hollandus (1667). Another symbol, appearing on the palm, is the Eye of Providence enclosed in a riangle, with rays emanating from it."
Use the drop-down menu on this page to order in your local currency
Paper: Our beautiful pictures are printed on either:
- Pearl Textured Fine Art Giclée paper - Hahnemühle Pearl (285gsm). Unless specified, all our prints are on this museum-grade paper.
- Giclée Hahnemühle Photo Rag - Our collection Butterflies by E.A. Séguy is printed on this high-quality matt paper (308g).
- You can learn more about how our high-quality prints are made here.
The materials we use to produce your orders have been carefully selected to reduce our impact on the environment whilst still ensuring your orders get to you in perfect condition. All the packaging used for orders are a mixture of sustainably sourced, recyclable or biodegradable.
- Prints over 420mm wide - We carefully cover your prints with tissue paper and bubble wrap, eliminating the danger of any scratches or folds. Your prints are placed into a robust cardboard tube, secured and sealed at both ends.
- Prints below 420mm wide - We package your print in a robust envelope. Your print is placed in group sleeves on card stiffener. Fixed to card
stiffener with stickers. Placed in the envelope.
- All prints and other items are tracked.
Frames Prints, Canvases & Bespoke Orders:
We can supply framed prints. But shipping framed prints and canvas prints is not free. Both incur shipping costs.
- If you'd like to order any of our prints in a size different, framed, on a stretched canvas or for anything else, please get in touch via our contact page or email email@example.com.