Two Women in a Garden by Eric Ravilious - c. 1930s
Two women in a garden 1933 Watercolour. Painted at Brick House by Eric Ravilious. Depicts the artist's wife Tirzah Garwood (right; shelling peas) and Charlotte Bawden, wife of the artist Edward Bawden. The two couples shared the house from 1932-1934.
Eric William Ravilious (22 July 1903 – 2 September 1942) was an English painter, designer, book illustrator and wood engraver.
Ravilious studied at Eastbourne School of Art, and at the Royal College of Art, where he studied under Paul Nash.
He married Eileen Lucy "Tirzah" Garwood who was also a noted artist and engraver.
His early works depicted the countryside around him in the south east of England, as well as urban scenes of London. Many of his works are seen as capturing a sense of Englishness that existed between the wars.
He designed a number of popular pieces for Wedgwood between l936 and l940 including a commemorative mug originally produced for the Coronation of Edward VIII which was adapted for that of George V. Ravilious was an official war artist in World War II and received a commission as a Captain in the Royal Marines.
He was killed in 1942 at the age of 39 while accompanying a Royal Air Force air sea rescue mission off Iceland that failed to return to its base.
He is commemorated by blue plaques in Hammersmith and Eastbourne.
FREE Shipping Worldwide on ALL prints. The price you see is the full price. No add-ons at checkout.
Use the drop-down menu on this page to order in your local currency
- There is NO extra charge for ordering in your currency. If your preferred currency is not on the currency picker menu at the top of the site or by each image price, please get in touch.
- All our beautiful pictures are printed on museum-grade, heavyweight Pearl Textured Fine Art Giclée paper
- We carefully cover your prints with tissue paper and bubble wrap, eliminating the danger of any scratches or folds
- Your print is placed into a robust cardboard tube, secured and sealed at both ends
- All prints and other items are tracked
- All items are delivered to your door
- If you'd like to order any of our fine art prints in a size different to what you see in the shop, or for anything else, please get in touch via our Contact page.